How to Safely Use
electric cables outdoors
Do you know that there are 300 deaths and 4,000 injuries each year caused by electrical hazards among the U.S. workforce? Nearly 95% of electric accidents end in death. Electric accident is sixth among the causes of workplace deaths in America.
Many of the electrocution (death by electric accidents) is caused by the careless use of extension cords. Imagine what will happen to your kids or your beloved pets because of such carelessness! Here is a well-proven tip in safely using electric cables outdoors.
Get A "Tupperware"
Got some used plastic food containers like "tupperware"? Make sure you get the used one instead of the new tupperware if you do not want to start World War 3 with your wife! Get enough tupperware boxes you need to keep the extension cord plugs you place outside your house dry.
Get A Plastic Cutter
A regular cutter will do the job too, but please cut the tupperware carefully! You do not want to cut yourself, do you? Cut both sides of the tupperware big enough for the electric cables to slip out of the plastic container. Try not make the cuts on each side of the box too big or too small!
Put The Plugs Inside
Connect the extension plugs together and put them inside the plastic container. Before you do this, you have to make sure that the other end of each cable is not plugged in to the electrical outlet in your house! See if the connected extension cord plugs fit nicely inside the plastic container.
Put The Cover On
Now put the cover (the lid) on the tupperware. Make sure you put it tight enough that your cat or your dog cannot open the plastic box easily. The domestic animals tend to be curious with anything they have not seen before. Your dog may even pee on the box to claim it as a part of his territory!
Check and Recheck
When you know that it is going to rain or after the rain stops, check and double check if the inner part of the plastic box is still dry, and that no water goes inside. Water and electric current invite disasters. This will cause a short circuit and if the fuse does not work well, fire could start!
Read by visitors.